A Goodreads user asked Leisl Kaberry:

Marrapassa? Common! So, how did you generate your character and place names? Just curiious Leisl...Seems like a nice story.

Leisl Kaberry Hi Roland and thanks! One of the funnest (fun-nest? Is that even a word... well it should be ;) ) parts of writing about a fantasy world is naming things. I just love it. The sounds of certain words inspire me, so I try to play with it and change it into something new. Sometimes I choose a letter of the alphabet and find sounds that go with it. For my half wolf/half bear creature, the lawfabex, I played with the letters of bear and wolf and tried to put them together and then I changed a couple of letters because it didn't quite sound right. I had been working a bit on the third book in the series (My second is due out next month) and my son starting telling me all about this game he is big into right now called Metal Gear Solid. When he first brought it up to me he would rattle it off so fast that I kept hearing Melgasor... it was pretty funny and became a bit of a joke between us but then I decided... hey, that is a good name... so it's a character in my third book. teehee. So I guess, in answer to your question... lots of different ways but most commonly I play with words and sounds I like. Cheers!