Gill Milward
Gill Milward asked Sharon Kay Penman:

Just saw that you are a qualified lawyer. Did you always want to become a writer and how did it finally happen?

Sharon Kay Penman Yes, I always wanted to write, Gill, but I knew how difficult it is to make a living as a writer. When we think of starving artists in their garrets, they usually have writers as roommates. A degree in history was not helpful in paying the mortgage, either. So I went to law school. I practiced law for about 4 years or so, and hated it, mainly because I'd gotten trapped into doing corporate law. I started Sunne while in college and worked on it for years when I could find the time, but then it disappeared under mysterious circumstances in my second year of law school. It was the only copy and I was so wounded by the loss that I was unable to write again for almost six years. When the words began to flow again, I was practicing pension and profit sharing law in Los Angeles. That was in February, 1978, That summer I got a small insurance settlement, and I decided to gamble it all on Sunne. I quit my job, moved to England, and began to research Sunne again. Then I returned home and resumed writing. With perfect timing, the insurance money ran out just as I finished the book, and I was lucky enough to find a publisher and the world's best editor in Marian Wood. I feel blessed, Gill, truly I do, for it is so much more fun to fight battles and besiege castles than it was to file briefs.