Goodreads asked Karen Gray:

Karen Gray I don't. "Touch wood" but I am yet to experience writer's block.

I talk a lot about my ideas with my family, or rather, I talk at them a lot. I imagine a lot of material weeks or even months before getting to write it, the story is already at least two books ahead in my mind so I am catching up rather than creating when I write.

For example, I am writing book 4 - The Highland Queen - at the moment, but I am creating book 1 of the sequel series in my head. The book I am currently writing and the following book (book 5, the last in the series) I planned out in my mind while I wrote books 2 and 3.

I create playlists for specific characters or character sets or even situations and that helps to energise my imagination. I listen to them in the car or walking to the shops and do a lot of the building work in my head.

I think being as vocal as I am about my storylines really helps keep the juices flowing. Of course it helps that I have a husband who always wants to hear more. If you don't, then find someone who will bat ideas back and forth with you, someone to be a sounding board or someone who will just sit and listen because if you get it right and can get your story straight in your head you're laughing.