Goodreads asked Karen Gray:

Karen Gray I wanted to write for my kids. I wanted to be able to write little adventures for them, but I always struggled with English, at times I still do. So, I did an Open University writing course to better my writing skills and afterward started writing what I thought would be a stand alone YA Fantasy. It ended up as the first novel in a five book series for Adults. Turns out I had a bigger story in me than I first thought.

The other thing that inspired me was the lack of material out there for Adults who perhaps find reading more challenging than most. This I believe is why the YA genre is so popular. But I know that many adults who feel comfortable with YA books because of the way they are written, want to see something more. A deeper, meatier story that is aimed at adults and not teens. So, I wrote my books with this in mind. Anyone should be able to pick up my books and enjoy them, but they are written specifically to give an adult story in a YA style.