Linda
Linda asked Lisa See:

Having traveled to mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macau, I am so drawn to the Asian culture and to your exceptional books. I am looking forward to The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane. Have you found any particular differences in the Chinese American customs of tea to that of China?

Lisa See First, thank you for your kind words abo0ut my books.

There are a lot of differences between American and Chinese customs in regards to tea. We tend to drink tea more in the English style, often with milk and sugar. We also drink a lot of flavored teas or tea made with tea bags.

The Chinese custom isn't as formal as the Japanese tea ceremony, but there is still some ritual to it. Many Chinese collect and drink tea think some people collect and drink wine. But quite apart from connoisseurs, people in China just drink tea--in mugs, thermoses, in old jars.