Linda
Linda asked Sara Donati:

I have fallen in love with the Wilderness series. As a fellow-born Chicagoan, was it the draw of New England itself or the historical time period that ignited the sparks for this series or both?

Sara Donati hi Linda -- Nice to hear from Chicago, and thanks for your support. Well first, to be technical, New York state isn't New England. I've always been interested in NY state for a whole lot of reasons (I'll post about this on my weblog soon), but even more it was the time period. I'm especially interested in those stretches of time that are generally overlooked in high school history classes. The War of 1812, for example -- most people know next to nothing about it. And that always makes me think of all the stories that have not been told.