Cynthia Shannon
Cynthia Shannon asked Jessica Brockmole:

I love historical novels that span generations, because we see how much things change (and stay the same) within a short amount of time. But if you think about the changes between today and 1912 or 1940, things are significantly different... With what invention or change do you think Elsbeth and Margaret, respectively, would be most impressed by in this day and age (and not the iPhone, it's too obvious!)?

Jessica Brockmole What an interesting question! I think Elspeth would be impressed, among other things, by the e-reader. With the eagerness she welcomed books into her little personal library, I think she'd have loved to have an e-reader (and, since we're imagining here, we'll give her excellent WiFi to download whatever she wants). I can imagine her hiking all over Skye with an untapped library in her pocket. Can't you?

And Margaret? I think she would be more impressed with some of the ways society has changed. I can see her embracing the greater opportunities open to women, especially when it comes to education and career. I'm sure she'd be delighted at the speed of travel these days and how she could explore further corners of the world in relative affordability.