Cynthia Shannon
Cynthia Shannon asked Dolen Perkins-Valdez:

I love that you check out books in the library to research the time period of your stories! How do you start imagining the stories you tell? Is it triggered by a person you come across in your research, or a significant historical event, or... ?

Dolen Perkins-Valdez Hi Cynthia!
I love your question. Why does it seem people don't enjoy the library anymore? I love the library. It is my happy space. My first book WENCH was inspired by discovering a little-known historical footnote in a biography I was reading. My second book BALM was triggered by my ongoing interest in the Civil War period. I have been known to wander the aisles of university libraries just scanning book spines. I enjoy the process of discovery as much as I enjoy the writing itself. Thanks for your excellent question!