Goodreads asked Jaye Ripley:

Jaye Ripley This is a fun question to answer because there is a story. One Saturday night, my friend Brandy demanded that I get dolled up to go out with her and her girlfriends to a club. Being a married lady, I didn't typically go out like that anymore, and I'd gotten into a huge rut of staying home on the weekends.

I ended up being designated driver. It meant I could have some drinks at the beginning, but would wrangle the girls at the end of the night. The club we went to was half country and half rock. Not quite as big as the Rock & Rodeo in my book, but a similar concept. Since I wasn't out looking for a guy, I spent most of my night observing (occupational hazard of a writer). Within a short amount of time, I realized what a cool environment it would make for a book setting. On the country side, there was a cool local band playing. On the rock side, there was DJ'd music. I watched the personnel of the place and how they managed the customers. I saw a 6'8" cowboy—no joke. He even wore a Stetson.

By the end of the night, the other girls were hammered, but I had the seeds of an idea in my head. I told Brandy about it the next day, and she thought it was an awesome idea. Seven months later, Sweet Melody was finished.

I didn't want to go out that night. By 10:30pm, I was pretty much done since I wasn't looking for a date. But because I was there, I ended up with a cool idea that hasn't let go of me since. Now when friends ask me to go out, I readily head out the door with them. Who knows where my next idea will come from?