Goodreads asked Roshani Chokshi:

Roshani Chokshi How do I *get* inspired?

I have to catch Her just like everyone else. We all have our methods. Some people lie in wait, crouching behind their desks and sticking their hand out like they're trying to tempt indifferent cats. And sometimes the cat will acquiesce and you may get an indifferent nuzzle. Some just run headlong into the thing. *SMASH*. I like to use clever lights refracted off mirrors, Kanye West, coffee grinds, coffee, and panic. It has about a 40% success rate.
The only thing I found that is absolutely fool-proof, the thing that even wily wabbit Inspiration can't escape, is the magic of other people's writing. Go forth and read and you'll find that she's somehow crept-pawed-snuck her way into the lap of your brain, meowing for food/words.