Goodreads asked Wendy Salter:

Wendy Salter My own father died when I was five-months-old. I always had this yearning to know who he was and to know stories about him and our short time together. With that kind of background, I knew early on as a new mother that no matter what happened to me, I wanted my daughter to know that she was loved and I wanted her to know about her little family.

I tried to start keeping a baby book for my daughter when she was born. The questions that they asked in the baby books were so trivial. I was so frustrated because there were important things I wanted her to know. So, I went to the store on November 26, 2010 and bought a journal. I was going to just write random facts that I thought would be important to her one day. But, when I put pen to paper the facts were spun into fairy tales. The actual journal entries are quite different from the chapters you see in the books. But, the Sugarplum stories grew from those seeds.

In addition to writing my daughter's stories, I started writing stories about her friends and family. For instance, Riversbee's and Sully Hope's stories were written as gifts for little cousins and friends of the family. I wrote those stories, tied them with a bow and tucked them into a birthday gift bag. After that, those little characters just continued to grow.

Baking cookies with our children's church was also part of the inspiration for the Sugarplum Recipes and the Cookie Ministry Kids. The children in our church and their families bake cookies and tuck those cookies in bags or boxes. Then those cookies are delivered to people in need of a little cheer along with just the right Bible verse. In the Sugarplum Recipes, Mother Sugarplum and Tessa Beth are famous for their Sugarplum cookie recipes. Each of the Sugarplum Recipes has a story and is made with love. Cookies are a family tradition for the Salter's as well as the Sugarplums. My daughter and I love baking in the kitchen together, and we also love to share our baked goods with others.