Goodreads asked Helena P. Schrader:

Helena P. Schrader I wish I knew!

Inspiration is not something we control; it comes most unexpectedly but compellingly out of apparently no where and I can never answer why one historical event fires me with a thousand ideas for novels while another only speaks to my rational brain.

I know, however, that I have often been inspired by visiting someplace -- my first trip to Cyprus, for example, seeing the incredible ruins of Byzantine fortresses on the jagged mountain ridge and the lovely castle of Kolossi by the sea sparked my imagination and produced not one but four novels. Likewise, the castles and monasteries of the Languedoc inspired me. But sometimes it's another book, a film, or a fragment of history I run across while doing research on a completely different topic.

One thing is clear: the spark of inspiration is personal and individual. No none else can tell me what I ought to right about. When people ask: "Why don't you write about x?" My answer is: "Why don't you?" That's not a brush off. My point is, if a story strikes you as worthy of a book, then you -- not I -- have been inspired with the idea. It is your book, not mine. I must continue to write those books which I have been inspired to write.