Goodreads asked Kate Cudahy:

Kate Cudahy I read a lot - I think that's probably where much of the inspiration comes from. I'm also inspired by people I've met in real life - people with 'off the wall' personalities. And I take a great deal from places I've visited - I was a keen traveller in the past, and I adapt some of the landscapes I've seen in my stories.

Now I live in Poland, which is a wonderful country but, to be honest, quite a homophobic place to live. And I have to keep my writing a secret from my students and colleagues because, without sounding too dramatic about this, I could lose my job if they knew about it. So paradoxically, part of the urge to write comes from the fact that I have to repress certain things about myself.