S.H. Villa
S.H. Villa asked:

Does anyone else find Bring Up the Bodies relevant to 21st C politics?

To answer questions about Bring Up the Bodies, please sign up.
Nancy Lanoue Absolutely! That is the central idea that the book brought home to me. That's what kept me turning the pages. The precision that Mantell disects the thought patterns and actions of Thomas Cromwell is masterful.
Gaynor Kaiser politics in my opinion never changes. back stabbing, lying, manipulation, power snatching, etc..the very definition of "politikos". Hillary Mantell writes in a way that reveals how little human nature changes.
J Thomas Thomas Cromwell reminds me of Mario Puzo's The Godfather. He knows everyone and who and how to get things done. Like the Don, he has a warm household and family, friends - that are separate from "business" (it's nothing personal, it's just the King's business). These stories have happened 500 years ago (before that yet again), in great reads after (The Godfather) and in everyday corporate America any day of the week.
Jennifer J Yes, oh YES!!
MaryAnn Mouritz I have to agree with you, Gaynor, politics seems to be the same today. Full of back-stabbing and underhand control of people. The main character in this book is a very subtle character, however, and it is a bit of a curiosity to see what makes him tick, which kept me reading, all the way through. Towards the end, Cromwell began to appear more human, showing some of the 'chinks' in his armour! I found the book, in 'first person' related to the king's secretary/chamberlain very entertaining, and an interesting study of a largely inscrutable personality. Good on you, Hilary Mantel. Beautifully crafted and a great read!
Maureen Sure does! Ruler with a huge ego and short attention span?
Image for Bring Up the Bodies
by Hilary Mantel (Goodreads Author)