David Price
David Price asked:

I am 108 pages into "Gardens of the Moon" and I still have no idea who the heroes are or who I'm rooting for. It's an epic so the story is long, Any opinions on whether it's worth going on?

Wesley Oldenettel I felt the same way. Get through it and it gets better. Apparently the books skip around, both in time lines and geographical settings. My first reaction was that the tale was extraordinarily disjointed and i didn't think i was going to be able to get into the setting, despite liking some of the the characters quite a bit, but through the books it all starts to come together and you slowly understand more and more about the world and the forces at work. As for who to root for, its a very grey setting morally.

Its an interesting approach, but the author basically throws you into the world and events without much ceremony.
Ben It is 100% worth going on! I would highly recommend using the Reread at Tor.com to help.

http://www.tor.com/series/malazan-rer...

I did this when I first read and it helped immensely both to understand what was going on and to not feel so helpless about my confusion (it is intentional on Erikson's part, he definitely makes you work for it as a reader)
Image for The Malazan Book of the Fallen - Collection 1
by Steven Erikson (Goodreads Author)