Emily
Emily asked:

Might it be ridiculous that people are persistently critiquing this teen romance novel as if it were Dostoevsky ?

To answer questions about Twilight, please sign up.
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann* The relationship portrayed is abusive, more than anything else I think teen romance novels shouldn't be romanticising abusive relationships.
Carmella I think most definitley.
I initailly read this book in 4th and 5th grade (young, I know, but I was into teen books and my mom also read them usually before I did so we were all good in the appropriateness department) and absolutley loved it. I loved how committed the characters were to each other and the love between them as well as the fact that Edward is portrayed as physically perfect, immortal, and all of the other fantasy vampire characteristics. Therefore, in my naïve mind this book/series was amazing. Having just recently read the series again, I can see why everyone made such a huge stink about how awful the books were. There is lack of any sort of intillectual, deeper meaning to the series. You essentially get what you read and there is not much thinking that follows. However, this book wasn't written to be the next Harry Potter, it was simply Meyer's way of expressing a dream that she had and is making money off of what she wanted to do. This book is simply for the entertainment of a reader who wants a fictional love story. So yes, it had served it's purpose as a teen romance novel, and No, there is no need to analyze it as one would a Dostoevsky.
Image for Twilight