Sarah
Sarah asked:

What is this about? Is it a clean book in terms of content? Could a young Teen read this?

To answer questions about The Joy of Life, please sign up.
John Bland I wouldn't advise it. There is a lengthy and comprehensive description of the delivery (birth) of a child (I'll not tell you if the child or mother survive the "painful" delivery). Zola is a "naturalist" which means he writes things as they are. He is comprehensive and graphic -- no holds barred writing. And whilst I love reading him be aware he was accused of writing filth. All his books are similar so I'm not sure I would recommend any of them for teens (or even many adults). For a female you could maybe try "Au Bonheur des Dames" (The Ladies Paradise) or for a boy "Le Debacle" could be a good place to start. Or maybe "La Bete Humaine"
Lizzie I'm only halfway through at the moment, but the book alludes to sex (in a nineteenth century way) quite frequently, so I would say maybe not. It depends on the maturity of the teen.
Image for The Joy of Life