Anna
Anna asked:

Which do you like better, Caddie Woodlawn, or the Little House books?

To answer questions about Caddie Woodlawn, please sign up.
❄Elsa Frost❄ I liked Caddie Woodlawn better (and still do). Caddie Woodlawn felt more like an interesting and altogether new story to read about the pioneer life. Little House does represent a more pioneer lifestyle, but Caddie Woodlawn felt closer to the heart for me and more entertaining.
But if you asked me which one I'd be more likely to recommend to younger people, I'd honestly say "Neither". Some children will prefer Little House, others will prefer Caddie Woodlawn. But both are excellent stories/series, and I hope they continue being remembered for the great classic children's books they are!
Kim I like the Little House books better. The Ingalls family is a lot like mine, which is part of it, but the series also focuses a lot more on actual pioneer life than Caddie Woodlawn does. There are explanations of how the Ingalls family cooked, built their homes, spent their time, and survived disasters---all personalized through Laura and her learning about the world. Caddie Woodlawn isn't really about pioneer life; instead, it's about Caddie's journey from irredeemable tomboy to a girl who's no longer afraid to grow into a lady. (I say that's what it's about, but that theme is only slightly evident in the book.) Most of Caddie Woodlawn focuses on the hijinks Caddie and her brothers get up to, and while those adventures occur in 1860s Wisconsin, they could just as easily occur on a farm today. Since I'm curious about history and how it was to live in other time periods, the Little House books were a lot more interesting to me. Caddie Woodlawn was more of a sitcom, with silly happenings set against a historical backdrop. I'm not one for sitcoms in general, so I found Caddie Woodlawn to be much less engaging.
ArtsyAshlyn This is a very hard question. But I think I like the Little House books more because I like the characters better. My favorite characters are Laura and pa.
Cassandra I like them both very much.

One thing that's worth noting about the Little House books is that the first in the series, Little House in the Big Woods, reads like a first chapter book for a very young child. Laura is older in each successive book, and the books gradually grow more mature in tone and content.

As a single, stand-alone book, Caddie Woodlawn probably compares best to Little Town on the Prairie or On the Banks of Plum Creek.

But they are all well worth reading.
Kristin I like Caddie Woodlawn much better. I used this book when I was a teacher. At first I read it to children (fifth graders). Later in my teaching career, I had students read it as a whole-class novel. It's writing is very good. It appeals to both boys and girls. It is also very funny. Caddie seems so very human!
Aakanksha I like Caddie Woodlawn better. Mostly because the story was a lot more interesting and kept me wanting to keep reading. The Little House books are very boring (in my opinion) and I soon gave up.
Luci As a child and as a grown up, I'm more of a Caddie Woodlawn fan. Like so many books of that era, I had to have a conversation about language before putting it into my 10-year-old's hands, but that's a good thing too.
Image for Caddie Woodlawn