Dunya
Dunya asked:

I liked the story very much, but what do you think about the characters in the book (aside from Ged)? I find them a bit one-sided and not as much developed as I would have liked. Why do you think the author chooses not to elaborate them more?

To answer questions about A Wizard of Earthsea, please sign up.
Alison Avery I feel that the lack of character development worked in the author's favor. This book was truly about Ged, and his struggles. The other characters in the book, in a way, are just more challenges for Ged to complete. This is especially apparent at the end when the shadow is taking the forms of Skiorh, Jasper, and many other people from Ged's life.
Bodhi Aside from Vetch, the characters didn't really need that much development in the author's vision. Ged has to develop as a character. The story has to show an introspective journey and doesn't need to focus on extraneous parts.

What about Ogion? I thought he was a good character. The author seemed more concerned with nailing the types of people, the characteristics of different islands. I think the book was much more about the fantasy setting and fantastical creatures and magic.
Image for A Wizard of Earthsea