Grace
Grace asked:

Should I read this in the youth version or the original version?

To answer questions about A Tale of Two Cities, please sign up.
KayKay Depends. If you only want to read for fun and you're afraid of the reading challenges, go for the youth version. If you are up to tackling the beauty and essence of Dicken's writing, get the original.

I read the abridged version when I was a kid. Even the abridged version was not an easy read as far as I remember. Dickens spent a good amount of time to lay down the historical background and as well as the development of the characters. There are a good number of characters who bear small roles yet their existences are crucial to the plot especially towards the end. You will just need to get through the first half before anything makes sense. I'd say reading a youth version would be a good start to test yourself if this is a book good enough to tackle the language challenges. I am currently reading the original text and, oh boy, it's boring. I'm still on my first few chapters of the book. But it is a BEAUTIFULLY written novel, and it has remained to be one of my favorites. Even thinking about it makes me want to shed tears... Good luck! :)
Image for A Tale of Two Cities