Teddy Bear Books

Can anybody say what this book is about? The synopsis provided (on goodreads) really confused me, and although I am intrigued, I still feel like I don't know what the story is. Is this how I should go into the story, not knowing anything? Any more info out there?

To answer questions about Challenger Deep, please sign up.
Jeanne Felfe Imagine stepping into the head of a teen with schizoaffective disorder. His world is one of chaos where things unreal appear real and things real are suspect. It isn't so much what it's about as it is what it reveals. This is a must read book.
Laura yes the synopsis is very vague, but this is a very intriguing book. I picked up this book mostly because it looked cool, but this book has caused me to rethink everything. it is very, very well written, and it goes into a mind of someone with a mental illness, but it doesn't sugar-coat anything. this book really portrays how someone is feeling and how someone thinks with a disability such as a mental illness. very good book, and it hooks you to the point where you don't want to put it down.
Rebecca I was unsure at first too...I thought it was magical realism and the Caden was living in some kind of alternate reality, but it turns out that alternate reality is in his mind.
Hannah When I read it, I didn't really fully understand what was going on until the last few chapters, which is when everything started to sink in. Without spoiling anything, I would say it's about Caden and how he perceives the world and that you should definitely read it.
Sally The author's note explains it well. "Challenger Deep is by no means a work of fiction. The places that Caden goes are all to real. One in three U.S. Families is affected by the specter of mental illness. I know, because our family is one of them. We faced many of the same things Caden and his family did. I watched as someone I loved journeyed to the deep, and I felt powerless in the descent.
With the help of my son, I've tried to capture what that descent was like...."

The first couple chapter are award, but the book is by a master.
Winona Lucas
Stavroula
Rose I provided a lot of detail about the book in my review of it. If you need more detail, you can read my review, but it may spoil some of the story for you.
Image for Challenger Deep
by Neal Shusterman (Goodreads Author)