NearMayhem
NearMayhem asked:

The story begins with Eva finding a tomato soup spoon on her favourite chair, so she chucks the rest of the pan over it and takes to her bed. But later in the book the local shop owner says that Eva was the only one in her family to eat tomato soup. Was this a plot hole? Was he just wrong, implying no one knew her, but everyone thought they did? Or did Eva actually leave the spoon on the chair herself?

Janet Jones Just finished this book. Loved it. I missed the shop owner's comments but did spot mention about the stained chair when people sat on it so presumed no-one cleaned it (hard to clean tomato from anything let alone embroidery!) Husband now thoroughly enjoying book too. I shall have to read it again once he's finished.
Veek I honestly thought that it was her who left the spoon on the chair, forgot about it and the whole episode just pushed her over the edge. The thing is, nobody else was allowed / supposed to sit in that chair...
Gillian Well spotted. I also thought the passage where the shopkeeper says that they all had their own soup flavour preference stuck out strangely, so I think we're supposed to spot it, but I can't answer what the point is. Since Eva had spent two years finishing it, it's unlikely she would have spoiled it deliberately herself. Ruby's dementia manifesting itself early, perhaps?
Colette Coen I think Eva had made the mess on the chair herself - I think that what makes the book so poignant. Sue Townsend is too good a writer to have a plot hole. The fact that other people sit on it later is fine, I think, as the soup would be well dried by then, even though it has made a huge stain.
Dap Hartmann Also, people keep sitting in that chair which Eva had defaced by pooring tomato soup all over it. Nowhere is it mentioned that she cleaned that chair.
Image for The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year