Erica Miles
Erica Miles asked:

Did this book and other books about life's absurdity contribute to my suicide attempt while in college?

To answer questions about The Metamorphosis, please sign up.
Jarrett R. I'm not a psychologist by any means, but works of extensionalism can raise uncomfortable feelings and thoughts. If you find these works hard to process it may be best to avoid them. They are never "feel good" and will never raise your spirit after reading. People deal with processing these conflicting emotions in different ways. For some its positive. For me it send me into a depressive state for a few days but I get over it. I don't feel I get anything out of it but it like watching a horror movie even though being scared is an emotion most of us would prefer to avoid it is still entertaining.
If its not entertaining for you, avoid writing that question existence like the plague.
Find writings that bring you joy and happiness. If reading books on life's absurdity got you into this state of mind before, perhaps reading books about life wonders and other's who have lived amazing lives may have the opposite effect.
I truly hope you are in a better state of mind than you where before and wish you nothing but the best.
Miraclei Sure, life is dispicable and full of absurdity. But as Leo Tolstoy said, "some choose to kill themselves, as for me, I'm just too bored to commit suiside."
Risa Hard to say. I personally found such books have the counter-effect on suicidal thinking. However, it really depends on the person.
Kadix I´m went through a lot with this book. Really! I got depressed, I had headaches, anguish and vomiting. I think it was too young for the type of reading, but it does not mean that the book is bad. one must know how to differentiate and distance oneself from things to make a better judgment
Sara Everything can.
Image for The Metamorphosis