Lesley Dahl
Lesley Dahl asked:

How did you feel about this book?

To answer questions about A History of Loneliness, please sign up.
Susan Zinner I really, really liked it--thought it was incredibly sad. I was raised Catholic so it really resonated with me. I think it is not so much about being Catholic as about when we are morally obligated to step forward and DO SOMETHING. He should have spoken up when he was abused, when he suspected Tom was abusing, etc. and did nothing. I like his books a lot.
Karen A painful read. I am a devout Catholic and have avoided this topic. I have known about it but neglected to really face into this topic because of my love of the church. While I am horrified and mortified for good priests and devastated for the many victims, I am heartily disgusted with cultures that seek to push people into a life that is not meant for them because the choice of who they are is untenable to family and others.
Kelly Whitaker Very honest, very sad, incredibly written. Same as some already answered, I was raised Catholic and we just didn't talk about it when it was in the news.
I feel so much like the author in many ways, I don't understand why anyone would even think to do such awful things, so I would never suspect it. I am also very alone in this world. What am I not seeing?
Carol Sad, raw but more importantly more understanding of the slippery slope from 'not my business' to 'turning a blind eye' to being complicit. Boyne's exquisite story telling ability and use of close POV takes us deep into the main character Tom's feelings and his experience of the world. An exquisite book.
Image for A History of Loneliness
by John Boyne (Goodreads Author)