Pat Crowe
Pat Crowe asked:

how can I read a review by another reader of the miniaturist?

To answer questions about The Miniaturist, please sign up.
Jennifer On the main page for the book, there is a section for questions about the book, followed by a section for reviews of it. If you scroll right down the page, past the 'Questions' section, you should see the heading 'Community Reviews'. That's where you'll be able to read other people's opinions on the book.

(My apologies if I have misunderstood the question. Since Pat posted her message months ago, I'm sure that by now she has found the answer, anyway! But I thought I'd post this response, just in case anyone else has the same question.)
Karen If you read the book, you'd know the funeral is not for Johannes or the father. I recommend reading the whole book and then re-reading the prologue. It will make a world of difference and bringing a whole light to some of the characters.
Marguerite Mooers I just wrote a review. Initially I was a little confused by the opening chapter where she is either at the funeral of her father or Johannes. I liked the feeling of the beginning where she is a wife who is not a wife, the wife of a man who seems to ignore her, and she wants to be a wife and mother but doesn't really know what that is. The antagonism that every one in the house feels for her, makes me sympathetic toward her and of course her little bird, the only thing she has of home. I think initially the writer did a good job of making us like this young woman.
Image for The Miniaturist