Goodreads asked Matt Minor:

Matt Minor Writing allows me to expose things that I would otherwise have to keep to myself.

I have only been working in state government for three years. I worked as campaign manager for several years prior to working COS in the House.

For a while I’ve wanted to combine the concept of art and politics. Basically using the idea that if art is a search for truth then politics is the concealment of it. The protagonist [of The Representative] is a poet, but his true art form is his romanticism. This he conceals from the world until he arrives at the state capitol and discovers his first love is there as well. Can love survive politics? is the question I asked myself repeatedly while writing it. You’ll have to read the book to learn the answer.