ATrueBookworm
ATrueBookworm asked:

Does this book have any bad language, sexual scenes or talk, blood and/or gore, or strange gods and/or rituals?

To answer questions about Ratha's Creature, please sign up.
Maggie I have yet to finish the series, but thus far haven't encountered anything that you wouldn't see or hear on Animal Planet. There are many violent and/or bloody scenes that describe hunting, fighting, as well as war and its aftermath.

This book alludes to the cats having mating urges for each other and as Ratha is growing up, she is learning more about this. It also describes the horses herded by the clan mating behind bushes, and is explained that they will produce healthy offspring and joked about how feisty the little stallion is.

As for strange gods and rituals, none of that really. This series seems suitable for ages 13 and up to me, parents may want to monitor kids who are younger than that who plan on reading it however.

Edit 10/1/15: I have gotten further along in this book now and there are scenes that vaguely describe characters mating with one another to produce a litter of kits. Keeping in mind that this is all through the eyes of a prehistoric cat and not a human, I truly think anyone who can handle nature films could handle this book.

It goes over the natural process of a female cat in heat, describing how she is agitated and seeking relief from this. Eventually it describes the male being above the female and how their legs are bumping, but it is brief and vague enough that it shouldn't be too graphic for children who already understand the cycle of life.

Now I feel the need to mention that there are also some actions that include parental figures attacking their own kits with the intention of killing, injuring them severely enough to leave them disabled for life, which may upset people with triggers relating to this.

Again it should be up to the discretion of parents whether or not they're comfortable with their children reading these sorts of things, but my own personal stance remains that this is acceptable for children 13 and up who are mature enough to understand how feline instinct varies wildly from human society.

I think this is a wonderful 'coming of age' novel, moreso for anyone who admires cats as much as I do. :)
Image for Ratha's Creature
by Clare Bell (Goodreads Author)