Katie Mccabe
Katie Mccabe asked:

Is this book suitable for a 13 yr old?

To answer questions about Clariel, please sign up.
Julie It would depend on your family values.

There are discussions and regular references made back to Clariel's sexual experimentation outside of a marriage relationship. Personally, I feel that the author could have made the point she was trying to make in other ways if she had put more effort into it - seemed like a lazy way out.

As in the original Abhorsen Trilogy, there is a darker magic element and dealing with the land of the dead.

I preview what my 12yo reads. I will be encouraging her into this series as it fits with the kind of books she likes. We will have discussions about the author's use of sexuality in this book, talk about how the author could have done it differently, and discuss Clariel's attitudes and choices.

Chloe Russell The only thing the character ever referenced was her sexual preference like, once or twice. There are no "regular sexual references", unless you're incredibly uncomfortable with even the slightest mention of sexuality, it should be fine.

I started reading Nyx when I was 14, it was my into to my love for sci fi! He also writes really strong female characters, which is a GREAT thing to give a young teen!
Image for Clariel
by Garth Nix (Goodreads Author)