Alejandra
Alejandra asked:

I'm currently reading this book. I just finished reading "Sleep". Goodness, so many questions!!! How about the ending? Anyone care to give their perspective? Thanks!

To answer questions about The Elephant Vanishes, please sign up.
Gabriela Turkot Japanese writers don't have the same approach to literature as Western writers. The logic of the narrative don't correspond to our known arcs beginning-middle-ending, because of the differences between our world views. Time is not linear in their perspectives as it is in ours, as in the idea of past-present-future as we know it is from our Judaic-Christian society. I recommend the reading of The Japanese Concept of Space and Time by Kiyoshi Matsumoto for those who have interest in learning more about the Japanese world view.
Sn Same feeling. Great story but such an abrupt ending. As someone said aptly in their review - Murakami stops when he has nothing left to say. I think that was the case here?
Jesse I was thinking it could be a metaphor for her body/brain/soul just collapsing and breaking down in terror; I couldn't help but feel her professed calmness through the chronic insomnia masked something far more terrifying in the shadows accumulating in the background.

But I also like taking it literally. Murakami sets you up brilliantly for this one. I hadn't felt such terror reading anything in years.
Juliana Garbayo for me she was already sleeping at the end, although not aware of it...
Image for The Elephant Vanishes