Mikey Inglish
Mikey Inglish asked:

hola, everyone! is this one really as good as many people's comments would make you believe or it is some kind of long and tedious saga with millions of characters and too-complicated-to-follow a plot? I mean, this thing is huge so I need to know before I plunge into this one :)

To answer questions about Dune, please sign up.
Yves Hello! I'm not quite sure what you are asking. After all, if you don't trust the 30,000 other 4 and 5 star reviews on here, surely me telling you how great this book is, won't make a difference, will it? :)

I can't tell you whether or not you will like the book, but if you like thought provoking science fiction, Dune is definitely worth a go. Don't be put off by all the other books in the series. Dune can stand alone perfectly well and is probably the best one of the bunch anyway. If you like it enough to go on reading the sequels, you always can, but it is by no means necessary.

There are really not that many characters to follow. Perhaps a dozen or so that play any kind of major role and only a handful at most (and that's probably an overestimate) that can be considered main characters.

As for the plot, on the surface it's pretty straight-forward, although there are some sf concepts in there, that may put you off if you don't like high concept science fiction. Below the surface it'll give you enough material to keep you occupied for a few decades (and to spawn many more books in the series).

I hope you'll give it a go. Let us know how it turns out for you!
Image for Dune