Joe Butler
Joe Butler asked:

I'm not sure how anyone could rate this book at all let alone give it a 2 star rating. Why do people do this? I wish Goodreads would prevent rating books until the book is actually published.

To answer questions about An Echo of Things to Come, please sign up.
Steve Sorry I'm late seeing your comment/question. I couldn't agree more. Regardless if the reason Goodreads has for allowing it, no one is entitled to an opinion on something that they have never seen. Maybe the lesson here is to ignore the star count, and only read actual reviews, even after publication.
Boostamonte Halvorsen The real answer: ARC.

Advanced Reader Copies. These get sent out to special and select individuals. These people read the book before everyone else and are asked to give honest reviews (Thing of a pre-screening of a movie) Then the publisher and author take what feedback they get and decide to change things if needed before the book is Mass-published. The person that gave 2 stars may have read the ARC and didn't like it. Good. Maybe if what they didn't like is repeated by the other ARC readers...the author will fix the issue before we Common readers get it.

Or, they are just trolling the author or series. Sadly, this happens.
Harle Because the programer is not aware of a feature like this although it's a must or his manager has given him some other priorities to work on.
John Ross Or maybe because publishers, authors, and book sellers use this as metric for anticipating sales of the books, just like how pre-order metrics work.
Image for An Echo of Things to Come
by James Islington (Goodreads Author)