Gemma
Gemma asked:

What age would you recommend for this book? Would it be too old for a thirteen year old?

To answer questions about The Light Between Oceans, please sign up.
Jenny I don't think it is inappropriate at all for a 13 year old, and the questions that the book raises might even be good for someone that age to think about. However, I don't think someone that age would fully understand the magnitude of the plot or understand the point-of-view of the various characters just because of lack of life experience.
Les I would be impressed by a thirteen year old who would read it. I believe the moral dilemmas posed by the book are difficult and beyond those usually presented to young adults; but your 13 year old might be an exceptional person. I see nothing there that would do a 13-year-old any harm.
Ankit Agrawal Yes it can be too much for a thirteen year old and it can also not invoke the same feelings in a thirteen year old as it would do in an adult.

This book is best to be read when you have children of your own
Elisamatt I think this would be too much for a 13 year old--even a precocious one. It is about a sad adult situation--and she or he might not understand the moral dilemmas.
Image for The Light Between Oceans
by M.L. Stedman (Goodreads Author)