Amber
Amber asked:

Does it enhance your appreciation of The Hours if you go read Mrs. Dalloway first? (I've seen the film version of The Hours and loved it.)

To answer questions about The Hours, please sign up.
Bookslut Yes, I think reading Mrs. Dalloway first drastically increased my appreciation for what the author was trying to do in The Hours.
Jan Priddy I had read, and loved, Mrs Dalloway before reading this book and then seeing the film. I think each stands on its own. As a writer I was astonished at how Mrs Dalloway shifted seamlessly between characters' point of view. Cunningham makes another sort of related shift. The film, however, does something else again. Brilliant all around.
Robert Day No. Don't read Mrs Dalloway first (as I did) then read The Hours. It will spoil your appreciation of this book. Actually - don't read this book at all; just read Mrs Dalloway.
Jennifer Ochoa I had not read Mrs. Dalloway when I first read The Hours and it was instantly one of the best novels I've ever read. It might enhance your appreciation to recognize the parallels, but the novel stands alone so well that even knowing Mrs. Dalloway exists would not be necessary. I too loved the film version because it captured the feel of the novel well. Go, go read it now! :-D
Deb I actually saw the movie first (which I don't normally do), then read The Hours, and still have not read Mrs. Dalloway. Loved the movie, and loved the book even more because of its insights into the characters. I'm sure I will now read Mrs. Dalloway soon!
Image for The Hours
by Michael Cunningham (Goodreads Author)