Kristi Bryant
Kristi Bryant asked:

I have a question regarding a flashback scene included in this book. Holmes climbs in Mary's window after realizing he has hurt her with the response he gave her to a question she asked. As Holmes exits her room, she asks him not to come to her house again as long as her aunt lives there. She stumbles over her words and Holmes looks at her gently. What she's trying to say. Can anyone help me?

To answer questions about A Letter of Mary, please sign up.
Lenore I think she is trying to say that she does not want to associate in her mind Holmes with this house. She sees Holmes as a refuge from this house, as she currently sees the house as a kind of prison. No longer the case once she has ousted her aunt and removed all traces of her.
Koren I think Mary knows that her aunt would ban her from seeing Holmes (because she would know that their relationship– however platonic at the time– meant something big to Mary and the aunt seemed hellbent on making Mary's life more miserable.) Mary couldn't imagine her life without the joyful distraction that Holmes brought into it.
Image for A Letter of Mary
by Laurie R. King (Goodreads Author)