Beth
Beth asked:

How would you all cast the film adaptation? I nominate Ben Affleck as Billy Graves. Also: Would the film treatment be titled differently from the novel?

To answer questions about The Whites, please sign up.
Carson Mincemoyer I think that Dominic West would play an excellent Billy Graves. As for Milton Ramos, I think that Jon Bernthal would be a good choice.
Peter Bird I reckon Denis Leary from Rescue Me TV show would make a great Billy.
Nickwinters Honestly, if you see B.Affleck in anything Richard Price you didn't get it. R.Price doesn't publish often but when he does it is very real. Too real for most readers. There is nothing even resembling real about BAffleck. That's not what he does. Whatever his charms are they lie outside this realm.
If you understood what Price has created, you'd get that it's like Selby's stuff. A mainstream Hollywood star has no place in stories this wonderful, this visceral. To truly absorb work this elemental it helps to think outside the box. BA is the box.
hilary Chris Pines made an excellent Billy in my head. Raymond Cruz is obviously Milton Ramos.
JAB This is one of few books I've ever read that I wasn't casting while reading it. There are so many fine actors out there (including Ben) that give you so many ways to go right.
So here goes: Willem Dafoe for Graves, Salma Hayek for Carmen, Jimmy Smits for Milton Ramos for starters? I'm definitely for "New York actors" --whatever that means.
Selma de Oliveira I think the title should remain the same, it carries on the reality on social issues. I vote for Leonardo diCaprio or Matt Damon with a yellow hair to portray Billy Graves. They're better actors and they also have more charisma and better looks than Ben Affleck.
Kristina I don't know who I would cast, but Ben Affleck as Billy Graves? No, no, no. Ben Affleck, who I don't particularly like or dislike, would be all wrong. BA has a kind of smug, smart-assy look to him. He was great in Gone Girl, because the character he played was a kind of smug, smart-assy, insincere jerk. I'm not saying BA is that kind of person. That's just how he always looks to me. Definitely NOT the Billy Graves character.
Yvonne For me I don't see Ben Affleck as Billy Graves. Maybe Jeremy Renner, or Bradley Cooper. I was thinking also of Colin Farell but not sure he has the acting chops for it.
Aretha Flakes i smiled when i read your question...ben would make a perfect graves!! (oh wow i just noticed his last name...meaning...i just noticed how it plays in the story and all the "graves") for some reason in my mind i picture the cast from the oceans movies...and yes, they probably would change the title...
Image for The Whites