David
David asked:

Did anyone else have the hunch they wanted to use a real paper, doorstop-strength dictionary to look up words like "cynosure" when they popped up in this book? I followed that hunch and was glad. I was quickly reminded that the online Webster's is not at all the same thing.

To answer questions about The Word Exchange, please sign up.
Dave I bet that was intentional! There were so many words that were not common everyday words and I did the same thing -- I looked them up and now with phones and tablets I didn't have to drag in the Oxford dictionary. I felt set up and as the story progressed, I noticed the 'bigger' words were left behind and I was no longer tied to my device.
LMS At first, i found it excessively annoying and ended up engaging the Kindle dictionary by or before page 22 because I got tired of going back and forth to the internet to look up words. Almost gave up reading the book by that point but stuck with it because it was an interesting premise.

As i continued to read, I realized that was the point though - personalizing for the reader the concept of continually looking up words, like the characters in the book and seeing the connection and how "easily" one could end up with the way people in the fictional society did (in one form or another). Additionally, when Horse (Bart?) got infected by the virus, his language began to break down. It was his lower level language and obvious wrong words that showed him to be infected and his subsequent linguistic decline.
Image for The Word Exchange
by Alena Graedon (Goodreads Author)