Goodreads asked J.S. Gilmore:

J.S. Gilmore The inspiration for Secret Teddy Society came from real events. Over fifteen years ago, when my daughter was about five, she gave me two teddy bears to keep me company while I was away from home. She is a very thoughtful child. I loved talking with her on the phone, her voice was angelic, but our conversations were limited to things that she had done that day. It was hard to hold her interest on the phone until I found myself saying, "I caught the bears climbing into the fridge for some milk." What made me say it? I haven't a clue, but what happened after that was priceless. After a moment of silence... the question came, "They're alive?"
It was the way she said it; she believed me. Of course there was only one thing I could say, "Yes."
Okay, I was lying to my child, a horrible, terrible thing to do...but it was adorable.
She will admit to this day that she believed me. And why shouldn't she? I'm her dad and dads don't lie, right? You don't need to answer that.
I didn't know it at the time but the Secret Teddy Society had just been created.
Fast forward thirteen years later and I'm working on story ideas for a novel. I found myself reflecting on the teddy bears that came to life. To be forthcoming, I didn't want to write a children's book, yet the more I thought about it the more I liked what I could do with it. I also didn't want it to be about two magical teddy bears, it would be all teddy bears. Not only that, but I decided to ask serious questions regarding consequences for ones actions. When I answered them honestly or more realistically, I found that the story took a more dramatic and serious turn. I liked it. The book would take a deeper look into the world of the teddy bear. FYI, it's not all fluffy stuff either.