Goodreads asked Mary Ellen Boyd:

Mary Ellen Boyd If you live where there is a writers support group, join! Read, read, read, particularly in the genre you wish to write. And write. Those words won't get on the paper until you put them there. Do NANOWRIMO every November. Putting 50,000 words on paper in a single month, even if the story that comes out is the roughest of the rough, is a wonderful way to train the brain. Who knows, you might even get the start of something great!

Listen to your own voice. I wrote my books over 20 years ago and there was no market for them. My agent even asked me to change time periods, which I did. Now, with Amazon and Kindle, even though my dream was never to self-publish, there actually is a category there that exactly fit those first two books. And they are selling!