This book is self published (red flag) and there is an essay from 2001 against its thesis. Is the book good? In redemption, Kennedy is a professor of history at Yale, so maybe he isn't interested in misleading the public, but my fear is that he might be interested in towing the line for the powerful. Is this the case? http://nationalism.org/library/science/ir/nau/nau-ris-2001-27-04.pdf

Jay Atwood Kennedy isn't "towing the line for the powerful." It's simply an analysis of the great power system. There is no judgement, no spin, no political agenda. Just an analysis of what was and is. After reading the 2001 essay you referenced I can say that it does have a political agenda & quite the narrow conservative focus.
Robert Jacoby The isn't self-published. Its Amazon page says "Vintage." They're a very big publishing house.
James Kim The copy I have says it was published by Random House.
Image for The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers