Ames Grawert
Ames Grawert asked:

I just finished this book, and the postscript raised a question for me. In it, Eco says he thinks William [of Baskerville] would have been disappointed by how Adso lived his life after the events of the book. I have a feeling I understand why, but I am curious to hear what others think. What do you think?

To answer questions about The Name of the Rose, please sign up.
Lawrence I think William liked to use his reason & logic and being an "ex-Inquisitor", he would have used his talent to help. So, he must be a traveling monk to see the world and there might have been many many more events in his adventure, from which he had heard about the abbey's famous library. His passion of knowledge asked him to stay behind to save a few books during the fire. However, Adso seemed to live a simpler life where he stayed in a monastery. When sent by his "abbot" to Italy, he could then do a detour to the ruins of abbey to locate the relics. So, Adso was not looking for "new" knowledge but "repeat every day of chant humility" (as described in the Prologue of the book). What is your take then?
Image for The Name of the Rose