A.R. Stellmacher

Do you believe the author of the Mormon book is God?

Max Varazslo No. The Book of Mormon is a literary hoax drafted early in the 19th century in self-conscious imitation of the King James Version of the Bible of 1611. It borrows themes and language from Josiah Priest's Wonders of Nature, Ethan Smith's View of the Hebrews, Charles Spurgeon's Manuscript Story, and even Captain Kidd's tales of buried treasure. Mormons disagree about whether the book's alleged "translator" Joseph Smith copied an ancient text verbatim or was somehow "inspired" by God to render the text in his own language. After a while he was able to fabricate large portions of the text without even looking at the golden plates it was purportedly contained on. Jacobean phraseology is used side by side with Early American English in the text, which is more repetitious than the Bible even though it was purportedly abridged from longer sources . The Book of Mormon quotes 20,000 words from the Hebrew Bible and an additional 2,000 from the New Testament, mixing Semitic and Greek locutions indiscriminately -- even though the Nephites who allegedly composed many of the texts wouldn't have had access to the New Testament -- much less the King James Version! Even then the original manuscript was revised extensively during the first decade it was in print. New "corrections" are introduced every few decades even now. No one who is Biblically literate is likely to be taken in by its plodding narrative, which puts barley, cattle, domesticated horses, elephants, goats, honeybees, sheep, silk, steel, swine, and wheat in the New World centuries before European settlers introduced them. There is in fact no reliable archaeological evidence that any of the events narrated in the book ever took place.

Read it as modern myth. God had nothing to do with it.
Miriam Robarts Yes, I believe that God inspired and instructed many prophets to keep records and then a prophet compiled them in The Book of Mormon, similar to how the Bible was written by many prophets.

I believe that The Book of Mormon and the Bible are the word of God. Following the teachings in the scriptures helps me grow closer to my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I am grateful for the scriptures and the peace that they bring to my life.

In the last chapter of The Book of Mormon, the prophet Moroni (Mormon's son) teaches how you can know whether The Book of Mormon is true (and that it was inspired by God):

"I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost."
- The Book of Mormon, Moroni 10:4
Zach Bowie Yes, there's no way a 14 year old farm boy could of wrote it. Joseph Smith could barely read or write, let a lone borrows themes and language from Josiah Priest's "Wonders of Nature," Ethan Smith's "View of the Hebrews," and even Captain Kidd's tales of buried treasure. It is of God.
StoryBloomer The Book of Mormon has lifted me up in times of need, has given me hope and courage when nothing else could.

"...and in all things which are good; for there is nothing which is good save it comes from the Lord: and that which is evil cometh from the devil" (Omni 1:25).

Nothing unreliable, evil, or false could bring me such joy and comfort. And this isn't the kind of joy that comes from going on an expensive cruise, either. This is the kind of joy that is eternal and everlasting, and pure.

Once, my friend came with me to our church camp. We had ward testimony meeting, and the Spirit was extremely strong. As we ventured to another campfire for the stake testimony meeting, my good friend unexpectedly started weeping and as I hugged her, one of the leaders said, "It's the Spirit. It's very strong here." And we all agreed, including my friend. My friend was overwhelmed by the unconditional love that Christ and our Heavenly Father have for us. Every day, my friend, even though she was a nonmember, read in the Book of Mormon with us with a determined and loving passion.

The Book of Mormon affects everyone in a positive way, and all good and positive things come from God; The Book of Mormon is of God.

Note: the author of the book is not God. God's prophets wrote it, writing what God wanted them to write. This book was meant for everyone, especially now. I invite everyone to read it. It will bring you much joy in your life. The best kind of joy. :)
Frozenfangirl I would like to share my opinion about the "Popular Question, Do you believe the author of this Mormon book is God?" Well, I know that Joseph Smith Jr. Translated the Golden Plates with God's help, and I also know that the prophets wrote God's words on the Golden Plates. So I believe the Author is the prophets that wrote down the words. Now, let me repeat this.

Joseph Smith Jr.= Translator
Prophets= Author that wrote down God's words.
God=Man that said the words that was put into the Golden Plates, which was later translated into the book of Mormon.
Richard After reading it I think it's the work of a conscious fraud. It's a 19th century book written in 17th century English because that's what people expected of a "holy book" at the time. Joseph Smith was convicted in public in Bainbridge New York in 1826 of being a "disorderly person and an imposter." He had been looking through some kind of piece of glass or stone and trying to convince people he could find buried treasure with it. And this is the man who we're supposed to believe when he says he was visited by and angel of god and told that black people are all descended from a group of heavenly cowards who wouldn't pick a side in a war between Jesus and Satan, that the garden of eden was in Jackson County Missouri, Native Americans used to be white and only got their dark skin as the result of a curse, and that God himself is a polygamist and wants his followers to have multiple wives. Of course the church today doesn't teach polygamy anymore. They received a convenient revelation from god that allowed them to disavow polygamy just in time for Utah to become a state of a country in which polygamy was illegal. Another revelation came concerning their racial teachings just in time for the civil rights act. The cult in its entirely is nothing more than an ongoing con job.
Karen The authors of the Book of Mormon were prophets, beginning 600 years before Christ. The authors of the Holy Bible were prophets. Prophets recorded the words that God inspired them to write. If you read the words of God with a sincere heart, you will feel His power in them! If you want to know if they are true, you should probably ask God, since they are His words.
Parker Hankins You can not add or take away from the Scripture of God. Any gospel other than that is a heresy.

This is wrong!
Katniss No. The authors of the Book of Mormon were ancient day prophets who testified of Christ and wrote the history of their people. However, God was there the whole time. He did direct the writing. I want you to know that I know this with the deepest surety. I also want you to know that God loves you.
Jwg No, the Book of Mormon is a piece of religious fiction written by Joseph Smith in the 19th century.
Rachel Goit Yes. I believe that the book of Mormon is the stories of prophets (who are the technical authors). However, God does assist and it contains much revelation from God. He also helped Joseph Smith find and translate it. I'm my personal opinion, God is the author, editor, and more.
Ruthie Yes!! I believe it with all my heart!
Joshua Let me take an unconventional approach to answering this question.

Sometimes when I read the Old Testament I don't feel much. I don't necessarily feel guided or inspired unless it's one of the powerhouse stories i.e. the story of Joseph in Egypt (gets me every time). If you already disagree with me, look me in the eyes and tell me you get goosebumps when you read Deuteronomy.... That's what I thought. In contrast to some portions of the Old Testament, I love reading the New Testament and hearing the words Jesus spoke to his disciples and jews. I feel uplifted and it makes me want to be a better person.

In perfect emotional symmetry to reading the New Testament, the Book of Mormon makes something stir within me. The ENTIRE book makes me feel elevated and more in-tune with knowing the difference between right and wrong. Even when I'm reading a section in the Book of Mormon dealing with war, I still get the sense that the words were celestially guided. It just feels right.

I don't know about all of the other hoopla surrounding modern criticisms of the Mormons, but I do know that the Book of Mormon emanates truth. Not just to my logical thinking brain, but to my soul. The seeking side of my soul that wants to connect with truth. We all have the desire to know the truth, and I believe that only God can confirm what's true and what isn't to those who ask him.

I believe in God, and I believe he influenced the creation of the Book of Mormon for the betterment of the soul of humankind.
Derek Brock The book of Mormon is absolutely true, there is no evidence that it isn't , and perfect evidence that it is. To truely know its truth you need to pray about it, and then trust your answer is from God.
S Goodreads Yes. Pray about it.
Its not as silly as it sounds, and don't listen to the skeptics.
Braden Hurt Of course! Why wouldn't it be? Is there anything provocative or evil in it?
It can be read as a side book to the bible, but the translation is pure, not having innumerable retranslations like the bible. It mentions the name of Christ more than the bible. It teaches good doctrine-keep the commandments, beware of pride, love your neighbors, and keep faith.
Something like the Book of Mormon can either be a devil book or the word of god. And a devil book wouldn't have the teachings of,"Feast upon the words of christ, for behold, the words of christ will tell you all things what ye should do".
Some people have debated if the book is false because the lord apparently sealed up the end of the bible for some reason and only the bible is the entire word of god. But does god only love the people in the middle east? Does he want to let the rest of the world dwindle and perish in unbelief? No, I say. God loves everyone on every continent and it is entirely possible many more countries may have their own "Bible". God may have visited people in Asia, Africa, and Oceana because "Other sheep I have, which are not of this fold. Them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice, and they shall be one fold and one shepherd"
Technically god didn't write it with his own hand, but "Whether by mine own voice or the voice of my servants, it is the same." Of course there were ancient American prophets and historians-there weren't just middle eastern prophets, after all.
The book is the word of God. I solemnly testify that it is, and I invite all to actually read it and to ask god for themselves if it is true, rather than soaking up anti-mormon propaganda. There is only one true way to know for yourselves, and that is to read "The most correct of any book on earth".
Natalie Lyman I believe the Book of Mormon is written accounts of revelation and history written down by God’s prophets in the ancient Americas. Inspired by God to write their experiences along with revelations they received to help God’s children, prophets recorded their testimonies which was later placed together into this Book by the last prophet historian Mormon, along with his son who finished off the book with some last words. I believe that God inspired the hearts of men to write what He asked them to do. When I’m in times of need for peace, I can sense a peace that comes from reading the Book of Mormon. No, it doesn’t solve all my problems immediately, but it does give me the courage and power I need to face them with God’s help. Read it for yourself then ask God if He inspired men to write it. You’ll get an answer, I promise, I did.
Crockagator Yes. The Book of Mormon is a true account and is another Testament of Christ. It was written by prophets hundreds of years ago. It does not replace the Bible but adds to it to testify of God and Christ. When I read the Book of Mormon I am able to become closer to God and feel the spirit of truth. For anyone who doubts, I would like to challenge you to read it and then pray about it to see if it's true.
Arial YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hannah G God instructed the prophets to write down his words.today we still have prophet's.Visit lds.org for more information.
Image for The Book of Mormon