Steffi Varghese

Did reading this book give you a better understanding of yourself or the writer or both?

To answer questions about Drinking: A Love Story, please sign up.
Barbara It gives you a good understanding of being an alcoholic, whether that says anything about yourself only you will know. She does a really good job of describing what it's like after you quit drinking too, the difficulties you still face. If I were an alcoholic I think I would find it helpful. I read a lot of addiction memoirs and they tend to end when it gets to the daily grind of maintaining sobriety but she delves a little bit deeper.
It is pretty alcohol-specific, most addictions have the same m.o. so the ending could help but the majority of the book is about the unique issues with alcohol.
Lori This book is intensely personal, insightful, and well-written. She clearly captures how isolation can make addiction even worse. Women often fear being taken advantage of and start drinking alone. The scenes she describes when she goes into isolation are beautifully written and sad. Addiction and recovery, as well as romance and women's issues, is one of the many themes I cover in my blog and book. I have posts this month poking fun of Fifty Shades of Grey beginning with men in poverty and ending with a millionaire who is a drunk. There are fewer than 2,000 billionaires on the planet and many are married, quite old, or women. http://www.fiftyshadesofrey.org/#!blo...
Image for Drinking