Wendy
Wendy asked:

After a kerfluffle, the middle school where I work effectively banned this book. While I agree that the target audience is more high school, I believe there are many middle schoolers who can handle the "maturity" level of this book. I'm very curious as to what other readers think--too much for all 12-13 year olds, or not?

To answer questions about Eleanor & Park, please sign up.
Ashiana Khan I can guarantee you those same parents who want to ban this book from middle school allow their children to play Grand Theft Auto 5
Amanda Ritson My thirteen year old daughter bought me this book! She had read it before and we were able to discuss the themes of neglect, love, abuse together, she definitely wasn't traumatised!
Anneliese I read this book when I was 13-14 and I fully grasped the meaning of this book and it wasn't anything someone should worry about for someone that age, there is some language and some mature things but it wasn't anything I didn't understand. I'd say that the reading age would be 13 and up, maybe even 12.
Charlie probably just nutty helicopter moms and/or weird social conservatives. I think it would have done me a lot of good to read this book in middle school.
CecilyV I don't know if our middle school has the book, but I've seen 8th graders with their own copies. It would not cause a stir at my school, because they have required reading books that cover more sensitive material. Honestly, there are kids younger whose home life experience is much worse, or the similar to Eleanor's. And if they are anything like I was at that age, I read it anyway--hello, Judy Blume!
nicole hodges It really depends on the maturity levels of the middle schoolers. My school used a letter addressed the parents, asking them if they think their children are mature enough to read the books. If you do not have such a letter, I suggest you make use of one, but that is entirely up to you.
Rosie Parchridge im 11 and reading this book nothing worse than what is at school!
Image for Eleanor & Park
by Rainbow Rowell (Goodreads Author)