Nathan
Nathan asked:

Does anybody else want to stop reading this? I'm only on page 400 and am not gripped by Gilmore's choices and decisions. Perhaps someone who sees this as a literary landmark might encourage me. (please)

To answer questions about The Executioner's Song, please sign up.
Bull Durham I finished it, yet the last line of my review says everything I need to say: ... "in the end I didn't give a shit about anyone"
Dave Absolutely shocking. Pulitzer Prize winner? Pffftttt.
Karen Belom Yes, I wanted to stop reading several times. It was such BS.
Rebecca I found this book extremely interesting. Very well written, great character analysis and it will stand the test of time. How often do you get such a thorough insight into how an intelligent young mind becomes shaped and guided into killing. It doesn't matter that it is not a thriller- we are too conditioned now to expect a crazy wild ride and a smashing stop; better by far to delve into the minds of not only the criminal but that of all the other people involved; the conflicted emotions of the families, the players driven by greed and profit and the fundamental questions about the death penalty itself. Powerful book- recommended for those willing to go the long haul!
Maria Magdalena I persevered and made it to p514 (of 867) and gave up. Too many characters getting introduced and cannot remember who's who.
Terry I didn't finish reading this book because Gary Gilmore's life was just too depressing.
Dorian I read most of it in a single day. I've never been more gripped by a book.
David Sewell It's not a thriller like more recent true crime books. It's a portrait of a flawed human being and a sick love story. I find myself empathizing with Gary and Nicole while simultaneously being mystified by their choices. I think the value of the book is how Mailer presents the humanity of everyone involved without sensationalism. I recently read The Night Stalker about Richard Ramirez. It's striking how much that author took from this book aesthetically and structurally while completely missing out on presenting the killer and his victims as real and complex people.
Ellen Hated it and just skimmed to the execution. Why so much ink on a total loser.
Juli Garon Loved the first half (?) of this book, but after he got arrested I felt like I got the story and lost interest. Interesting story and characters but it started to feel so predictable I couldn't finish it!
Tina I do as it is too dark (and surreal) for me. The plaintive tone makes it all the more nerve grinding.
John Everett I'm most likely packing it in. Started skimming in the 400 zone, which is not something I do. Not gripping, not well-written, no consistent voice. I have a sick penchant for lengthy books and recently reread War & Peace to my great regret. Stop me before I kill.
Matt Dykzeul Did you end up finishing? I stopped halfway at the end of "book one" and I plan to go back later. It was getting quite hard to get through, I was pleased when I realised it was broken into two books so I had a chance to put it down and read something else and go back.
Image for The Executioner's Song