Mary Veydt-lynn

Forget the subject matter- this book is beautifully written and will break your heart. If you wonder why 1000 people would willingly take their own lives, read it. You will not laugh and them in the end, but pity that the reason they went in the first place was so distorted and destroyed by an evil madman. It was riveting!!! has anyone else been so moved by it?

Yesenia Cordero I can say that I definitely was. I also could not believe that a thousand people could be so persuaded by one person to take their own lives, but I now see exactly how it happened. The first time I read it, I was in disbelief for the longest time, telling the story of Jonestown to every and any one who would listen to me. I don't think I actually wanted others to hear me, I just wanted to lay it out before myself and try to make sense of it. Then I reread the book for a school presentation, and I almost could not go through with it because of the disbelief and disgust I felt for what had happened, at the hands of this manipulative "pastor". And despite all the 'good-job's I was getting from people, after the presentation, the best I could do was sit and stare at nothing in particular. That book pulled me completely into a history that was both fascinating and disturbing, and it took a while to pull myself back out. So, in the end, I could say, YES. I have been very, very moved by the book.
Image for A Thousand Lives
by Julia Scheeres (Goodreads Author)