Kosain
Kosain asked:

I haven't read the hobbit. Is it okay if I read this without reading the hobbit?

To answer questions about The Fellowship of the Ring, please sign up.
ATrueBookworm It is best to read The Hobbit first if you wish to know how a hobbit ended up with the ring, though you don't have to. I would advise reading at least the prologue in The Fellowship of the Ring because it gives a brief account of how the Ring came to a hobbit. Some things happen in The Fellowship of the Ring that you may not understand unless you know some of the things that happen in The Hobbit. If you want to know but don't want to read The Hobbit, than read the prologue of The Fellowship of the Ring.
Hope this helped!
Joshua Batres yes. However, if you want to know what happens in the hobbit then you shouldn't read the lord of the rings, but if you are ok with knowing part of the things that happen in the hobbit, then sure, you can read it.
Image for The Fellowship of the Ring