Avelys
Avelys asked:

What is the best translation for this book?

To answer questions about The Tale of Genji, please sign up.
Lucy Day Werts Which translation is "best" depends on what you're looking for. If you are approaching this work for the first time, and you want to read the whole thing, I would recommend the Seidensticker translation, if you can get your hands on it. I struggled with Tyler. I've written up a lot of details about the different translations, abridgments, and related guides here:
https://welovetranslations.com/2021/0...
Megan Personally, I like Tyler's, but I think the only way to know is to read all of them! I haven't read the new Washburn translation yet, so I can't give my opinion on that one.

In any case, Tyler's has the most extensive notes and is probably the most faithful to the original. Waley leaves out chapters and was doing more writing than translating (so in many ways his is the most lyrical). Seidensticker strikes a nice balance between the two, though you should know that he has two versions, one of which is abridged.

I totally recommend Ivan Morris's The World of the Shining Prince as a companion to whichever version you read.
Mongoose Many say Tyler's.
Akemi G I don't think this question can be answered. It's like asking for the best novel, or the most beautiful photographic rendition of a person. Each translator works according to his or her aesthetics, and as long as the translation is reasonably accurate, we cannot call it bad or wrong.

If you are concerned, I suggest reading the first 30 pages or so of each translation, and pick the one you like.
Image for The Tale of Genji