Cindy
Cindy asked:

Has anyone read the Necklace by Guy de Mauspassant? I like his writing just was not thrilled with Bel-Ami. I also heard that his short stories were very good.

To answer questions about Bel-Ami, please sign up.
Constance The Necklace is an all-time great. If you can read it in French, it's even better. A splendid story of pride going before temptation, a haughty spirit before a fall....and of honor and redemption - and misunderstanding. Don't miss it!

And although Bel-Ami is less often read, it's a compelling portrait of a charming, sexy, amoral, greedy man. It strikes me he probably commits all of the 7 so-called deadly sins at one point or another... pride, avarice, lechery, envy, wrath, indolence and greed. What a guy! and how real!
Jim Chevallier He was one of the greatest short story writers who ever lived, and highly influential for his style. You can find a number of them for free on Project Gutenberg

His novels are pretty good, but not his strong point.
Ivy-Mabel Fling Try 'Miss Harriet' or 'Boule de Suif' or, as Barbara says, The Necklace or even 'The Savage Mother'. I think short stories were very much Maupassant's strong point although they are hard to write successfully.
Barbara Maarek I read The (diamond) Necklace, La Parure in french. beautiful, haunting, great twist at the end. enjoy!
Wadiaro Wapoo yeah they are great
Susan Turbié Yes, La Parure, (The Necklace) is one of the greatest short stories ever. Also recommend La Maison Tellier, Boule de Suif and La Petite Roque.
Image for Bel-Ami