John Mcelroy
John Mcelroy asked:

I am enjoying this book but did anyone else not find it quite a coincidence that Henri Charriere (Papillon) was on the same boat, in the same cell, lying next to Kaci ? Then the arrival on Devils Island almost followed the film script of Papillon?

To answer questions about The Guillotine Choice, please sign up.
Michael J. Hi - thank you for your interesting question. I chose to bend the truth and add Charriere as a character on the voyage as a little homage to the man and his book which I came across as a teenager and really loved. The truth is that Henri Charriere was sent out in a shipment of prisoners a year earlier than Mohand.
As for following the film script, it has been such a long time since I saw the movie that I'm not sure how that happened. I researched various sources as to what would have happened to the prisoners on arrival and they all had a consensus of events. Perhaps the film makers used the same sources?
Image for The Guillotine Choice
by Michael J. Malone (Goodreads Author)