Gemma
Gemma asked:

what age would you recommend to read this book? Would it be ok for a twelve year old?

Zoë When I was about ten years old I read John Hersey's Hiroshima. Was I too young to read about inhuman cruelty? I doubt it. I have a distinct memory of reading it in the quiet golden evening light of my parents' bed, by myself.

I wouldn't restrict my daughter, who is now 29, to reading what she felt drawn to as she grew up, but I might read it aloud with her, or parallel to her reading, and discuss what it brought up. Your daughter is now 14 since you posted this two years ago...perhaps she read it and is more informed, better for it and more compassionate.

The book brings up the issue of assault and possible rape. It is important for young, preteen, pubescent girls to know what these actions are and how to protect themselves.

I hope you found your way through this with your daughter.
Suzanne Feliciano This is a book about war. Written by a woman photojournalist. She was captured at least twice in the middle east and there are personal sexual references in addition to the cruelty she photographed. Who to read would depend on the maturity of the child. Certainly any child thinking about PJ as a career, I believe, should read it.
Leigh It's written by an adult for adults. There are sexual references and graphic depictions of violence committed against women. I think 12 years old is a bit young.
George Fourth sentence describes a car hit by an air strike and describes "part of a brain" and "shards of a skull embedded" in what she photographed. I could have handled it at 12, but it is not for sensitive souls.
Image for It's What I Do